If you're a bride that is a little anxious about how your groom is going to react to this whole "picture" thing, you are not alone. I receive so many emails from brides who are worried that three groom won't be into, or mentions how much their groom hates having their picture taken. I have good news for you... you are both more photogenic then you think. I am constantly surprising my couples by discovering their hidden modeling skills and my most common response from goods is "That wasn't as bad as I thought. It was actually fun!" Woo! Mission accomplished! When the groom says taking pictures was fun, I have done my job well.
As you prepare for your shoot here is a few things you can do to help your groom know what to expect and make sure the session runs a little bit smoother.
1. I highly recommend sitting down with your groom and showing him my blog. Spent the time to scroll through a few engagement sessions. It will help him get an idea of the poses and type of photos I will be capturing and will help him gauge his expectations. Plus when he realizes how simple some of the poses are he will feel a little more confident in his ability to shine in photos.
2. Allow for plenty of time to get to your engagement session. There is nothing worse than a couple who shows up in a bad mood because they had been pickering in the car over directions or the time. You do not want to start your engagement session off being mad at each other.
3. Consider letting him pick one of your outfits, which will help him feel like he had more of a say in the session and it wasn't all about you. I highly recommend having a third outfit that the groom picked, rather it be matching jerseys from his favorite sports team, or a dress he loves on you.
4. Have a lot of patience with him and don't assume he is not going to have a good time. I think you will both be surprised how much fun you have once we get started!
5. Don't say anything negative towards him before or during your session that would make him self conscious. I once had a bride tell the groom not to smile with his teeth because they weren't white enough. He spent the rest of the session trying to hide them. When they got the images back their favorites were the ones with him showing teeth, but because of what she said he was self conscious and hid them.
6. Wear something comfortable to your session. For your session I always recommend one casual outfit and one more dressy. So let him wear his favorite jeans for the casual photos, or chose kaki shorts instead of pants for your dressy if that is more comfortable for him. The last thing you want is your groom to feel uncomfortable or feel like he looks bad in his clothes. It will show.
7. Go to dinner after and let him pick. As we all know most guys love to eat, so the promise of his favorite restaurant after your session will make him motivated to do the best he can so he can go off and enjoy a tasty meal. Sounds silly bribing him, but if he absolutely hates photos it will totally help.
Hopefully these 7 things will help your groom be ready to go and totally nail your engagement session!